Passenger Rights for Missed Connecting Flights
A missed connection flight can leave the passenger stranded at the airport for hours on end. Even a small delay in the original flight can cause you to miss your connecting flight and wait for hours on a replacement flight. This is not only frustrating, it can also become a financial burden to you. Therefore, it is good to know you are protected by air passenger rights in the event of a missed connecting flight due to delay.
For refund purposes, European Passenger Rights Regulation EC 261/04 (which also guarantees compensation for flight delays, flight cancellations and overbookings) only considers the delay at the passenger’s final destination.
- The threshold for missed flight compensation is a delay of three hours or more at your destination airport. That means that a cancellation or even a short delay of the first flight can entitle the passenger to a payment of up to €600 – if that cancellation or delay caused the passenger to miss a connection flight and, as a result, reach the final destination with a delay of three hours or more.
- If extraordinary circumstances such as a strike or severe weather caused the delay that led to a missed connection, the airline would not be obliged to pay the passenger a refund. However, a mechanical fault detected during regular maintenance check-ups is generally not considered an extraordinary circumstance, meaning that passengers who eventually miss a connecting flight because of a mechanical or technical fault are entitled to compensation.
- Take off or landing occurred within the EU or you booked several flights in a row? Then you are also eligible for compensation.
Missed connection? Get help quickly.
If you were affected by a missed connecting flight and want to file a claim for missed flight compensation with the help of refund.me, please take the following steps:
- Enter the flight data of your missed connecting flight into the claim calculator found on our website.
- You will be notified immediately how much you are owed.
- Now sign a power of attorney and we will take care of the rest on your behalf.
We will contact the airline in question. If the airline refuses to pay compensation for your missed connection, we will take the claim to court, at no extra cost to you. Our Europe-wide network of passenger rights lawyers has a proven track record in securing compensation for missed connecting flights.
Once the airline has paid out your flight compensation, we’ll keep our commission of 29,75% (= 25% success fee plus VAT) and transfer your money directly to your bank account!