General Terms and Conditions of refund.me GmbH
A. Course of procedure
- refund.me will assert your claim for compensation vis-a-vis the operating airline, solely depending on success, based on Regulation (EG) No. 261/2004 of the European Parliament and the European Council of 11th February 2004 regarding rules for airline passengers’ compensation and benefits in the cases of failure to fly passengers and flight cancellations or long flights delays (hereinafter referred to as Airline Passenger Rights Regulation).
- Towards this goal, refund.me gives you the option to enter your flight data through the website or via our app. refund.me will conduct an extensive online data bank research on the flight. If our system considers the pursuit of your claim to be sufficiently promising, you will receive an offer to conclude a collection agreement for the collection of the claim. Please note that the result of the review does not include any binding statement on the actual chances of a successful enforcement of your claim. Subsequently, you have the possibility to accept the offer by entering your personal data.
- In order to enable us to successfully enforce your claim, we require a power-of-attorney signed by you, which you can send to us via e-mail, fax or regular mail, or upload as a file to https://claims.refund.me/poa. refund.me cannot take any further action until the power-of-attorney is signed and returned. After the power-of attorney has been received, refund.me will immediately draw up and send a demand for payment as well as handle any and all further correspondence with the airline.
- If the airline fails to pay within the deadline allotted by us or fails to make an appropriate offer, we will refer the case to our contract attorneys for the purpose of enforcing the claim in court. You agree to your data being forwarded. In so far as the airline provides reasons that would constitute extraordinary circumstances, and provided our research confirms this result, we will terminate any further action and we will inform you accordingly; no costs will be charged to you.
- If the contract attorney comes to the conclusion that the probability of successfully enforcing the claim is sufficiently high, he will arrange the legal enforcement for you. In such a case, you authorise us to provide the contract attorney access to any and all data submitted by you and you authorise the contract attorney to forward information on the legal proceedings to us. Please note that in many countries, due to the processing time of the courts, it can take a substantial amount of time to enforce a claim in court. Unfortunately, this means that we have no influence on how fast your claim can be enforced. If the power-of-attorney must be submitted to the court as an original document, you agree to sign and send the relevant document to our contract attorney without delay and at your own costs.
- If the contract attorney comes to the conclusion that the probability of successfully enforcing the claim is not sufficiently high, we will inform you about this conclusion and refund.me will refrain from any further activities. The collection order shall end with that notification to you. You will receive a brief email outlining the reasons your claim cannot be successfully enforced. In such a case, you will not be charged any costs.
- If the contract attorneys proceed with enforcing your claim in court, we will exempt you from paying the costs incurred in conjunction with such legal proceedings in case the lawsuit is lost. In case of a settlement, the legal fees – unless they are borne by the airline – will also be borne by us. You will not be charged court or attorney’s fees.
- You authorise refund.me to accept out-of-court settlement offers and the contract attorney to accept in-court settlement offers on your behalf without any further consultation, if the airline offers you a cash payment of at least 75% of the claim. The justification or explanation of the acceptance of the settlement or the transfer of legal documents can be demanded.
- In the event of a successful transaction or settlement of your case, you agree that all costs incurred by refund.me and claimed from the airlines go to the contracted attorney who is treating your case.
B. Obligations to cooperate
- In order to be able to enforce your claim successfully, we depend on your support. That means that you inform us completely and correctly, not only when you order our services but also during the entire process.
- Even without a specific request, please provide us with all the data and documents that are required for processing your case, e.g. your boarding pass, delay notification, correspondence with the airline.
- If you fail to submit the documents or the information, we are entitled to terminate the contract after informing you previously and observing an appropriate period of notice.
- If you (1) provide incorrect or incomplete data against your better judgement or if (2) you have withheld from us that you have already received compensation from the airline for the applicable claim, and our contracted law firms in the respective European countries have lost the adopted claim in court, refund.me reserves the right to assert its claim against you for the resulting damage.
- As the registered office of refund.me GmbH is located in Germany, the amount of VAT to be paid is stipulated by German law and is calculated in accordance with the legally stipulated rate (currently 19%).
- If you receive any direct payments or any other type of compensation, e.g. flight voucher, from the airline after engaging our services, you are obligated to inform us immediately.
- In order to achieve an optimal result for you, you are obligated to refrain from negotiating with the relevant airline upon engaging our services.
- While the contract is in effect, you may not transfer the claim to another entity (e.g. an attorney or a board of arbitration) for the purpose of collection, and you may not initiate any legal action on your own, either.
- The success commission is calculated on the basis of all benefits granted by the airline after you ordered our services. If, with your permission, the compensation is not paid by means of money but by means of payment in kind, e.g. flight voucher, we are entitled to a success commission in cash, in the amount of the value in kind. The entitlement to the success commission exists even if the benefits are given directly to you.
- The success commission as well as any possible fees are calculated, depending on the country and based on whether the claim can be enforced in-court or out-of-court, when the power-of-attorney, signed by you, arrives with us within 40 days of the receipt of the first confirmation e-mail; calculation is as follows:
|Success commission plus 19% VAT||Additional fees plus 19% VAT|
|Out-of-court enforcement in Germany (The place of departure or arrival at the final destination is located in Germany and/or a German airline conducted the delayed or cancelled flight)
*does not apply to airlines headquartered in the UK or France
|In-court enforcement in Germany||25%|
|Enforcement in France (the final place of departure or arrival at the final destination is located in France and/or an airline headquartered in France conducted the delayed or cancelled flight)||25%||25 EUR|
|Enforcement in Belgium (the final place of departure or arrival at the final destination is located in Belgium and/or an airline headquartered in Belgium conducted the delayed or cancelled flight)||25%||25 EUR|
|Enforcement in the UK/IR (the final place of departure or arrival at the final destination is located in the UK/IR and/or a UK/IR airline conducted the delayed or cancelled flight)||25%||25 Euro|
|Enforcement in Spain (the final place of departure or arrival at the final destination is located in Spain and/or a Spanish airline conducted the delayed or cancelled flight)||25%||35 Euro (for any necessary notarial authorisation)|
|Enforcement in any other place in Europe||25%|
- If the power-of-attorney reaches refund.me later than within 40 days, the success commission for refund.me shall, in any case, be 30 % plus 19% VAT of the collected claim or of the flight voucher.
- In case the client cannot or does not enter his flight data exclusively via the form on the homepage or via our app, i.e. in case the flight history needs to be re-processed manually by employees of refund.me, refund.me will charge, aside from the success commission, a processing fee in the amount of 10 EUR plus VAT for the additionally required processing, but only if the claim can be enforced out-of-court or in-court.
- refund.me is entitled to deduct the commission from the airline’s payment. If the airline makes a payment directly to you, you undertake to pay out the commission to refund.me without delay after you have received payment.
- If you send us a postal address (name, street, house number, postal code, country) in incomplete form and this leads to delays as regards the follow-up processing of your claim, we are entitled to charge a processing fee of 10.00 (plus VAT) in the case of a successful outcome of your claim.
D. Payment processing
- If you have an account in the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA), all payments will be sent to that account via bank transfer. If you enter inaccurate bank details, resulting in a transfer to an account which you are not authorised to access, you are not entitled vis-a-vis refund.me to receive the compensatory payment anew. Therefore, please check your data carefully in your own interest.
- Any payments to clients who do not have an account in the SEPA area will be handled by means of the payment portal “PayPal”. This guarantees a faster, less expensive and more effective payment.
- The costs that may result from the currency conversion from Euros or when transferring money from your “PayPal” account to another account are borne by you. In that regard, we refer to the General Terms and Conditions (GTC) of the payment platform “PayPal”:
- If, either by mistake or knowingly, you reject our PayPal payment, requiring us to transfer it to you again, we are entitled to charge you a service flat fee of 20.00 Euro plus 19% VAT, to be deducted from the sum that is awarded to you by the airline.
- If the airline has made the compensatory payment directly to you or if you have received a voucher, you are obligated to pay the commission to refund.me GmbH via the payment portal “PayPal” or to transfer the amount to the following Deutsche Bank account:
Account holder: refund.me GmbH
Bank: Deutsche Bank
Account number: 0122 465 01
Bank code: 120 700 24
In case of default upon our invoicing we are entitled to charge a reminder fee of 5.00 EUR flat. It is up to the client to prove that refund.me incurred less damage than the sum of the reminder fee. The costs of the transfer are borne by you.
- All payments are made through a third-party fund account. The third-party fund account is non-interest bearing. There is no entitlement to receive interest between the receipt of payment and payout. In so far as the airline pays by direct debit or by cheque, the third-party funds included therein will not be settled until at least refund.me’s six week objection period is up. Any costs the bank charges refund.me for presenting the cheque will be deducted directly from the payment that we are to make to you.
- refund.me is entitled to charge you for fees incurred through submission of a cheque.
E. Right of withdrawal and instructions on the right of withdrawal for consumers
If you are a consumer in the sense of § 13 BGB [German Civil Code], i.e. if you are a natural person that concludes the legal transaction for a reason that can be considered neither a commercial nor an independent professional activity, you have the statutory right of withdrawal, regarding which we inform you as follows:
|INSTRUCTIONS ON THE RIGHT OF WITHDRAWAL
Right of Withdrawal
You have the right to withdraw from this contract within 14 days, without needing to state any reasons. The 14-day deadline for withdrawal begins on the day the contract is concluded (A. 2). To comply with the deadline for withdrawal, it suffices to send the notice of withdrawal in due time. The notice of withdrawal is to be addressed to refund.me GmbH, Friedrich-Ebert-Strasse 34, 14469 Potsdam Germany or to email@example.com by means of a clear statement (letter sent via regular mail, fax or e-mail stating the case number).
Consequences of Withdrawal
If you withdraw from this contract, we shall be obligated to refund you any payments that we received from you, including the delivery costs (except the additional costs incurred if you chose to have a delivery made by different means than the one offered by us, i.e. inexpensive standard delivery), without delay and no later than within 14 days of the day on which we received the notice of your withdrawal from this contract.
For this process of refunding we will use the same payment method that you used for your original transaction, unless a different method was explicitly agreed with you; under no circumstances do we charge you any fee for this refund.
If you demanded that the service must begin within the withdrawal period, you must pay us an appropriate sum that, in comparison to the entire extent of the services arranged under the contract, corresponds proportionally to the services already provided until the moment you notified us of your choice to exercise your right of withdrawal regarding this contract.
Your right of withdrawal expires early if refund.me has already provided the service in full and did not provide the service until after you explicitly gave your approval and if, prior to the implementation of the services, you acknowledged that you would lose your right of withdrawal if we fulfilled the contract completely.
Template Withdrawal Form
If you wish to withdraw from your contract, please fill in the form below and send it, via regular mail or via e-mail, to the address that is indicated under Right of Withdrawal:
I/we (*) hereby withdraw from the contract concluded by me/us (*) regarding the achievement of the following services:
Ordered on (date)
Name of the consumer(s)
Address of the consumer(s)
Signature(s) of the consumer(s) (only in case of notification via paper)
(*) please strike out if not appropriate
(End of the Instructions on Right of Withdrawal)
F. Term of contract
The contractual relationship ends through termination on part of the client for important grounds under the provisions of C5 and the general obligation to cooperate in accordance with B, or, when the claim is settled in full or in part, by payment or by means of a flight voucher, or if – after a detailed examination of the case – refund.me or the commissioned contract attorney respectively determine the pointlessness of a continued pursuit and you are informed accordingly via e-mail.
G. Data protection
refund.me will use your personal data exclusively for enforcing your claim. Any and all information regarding the extent and the form of data collection, storage and usage of personal data can be found in our Data Protection Statement.
H. Applicable law and place of jurisdiction
- The laws of the Federal Republic of Germany apply to this contract, whereas the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods is excluded.
- If the client is an entrepreneur, a legal entity under public law or a special fund under public law, the sole place of jurisdiction for all claims resulting from this contractual relationship shall be Potsdam.
Last update: 1st May 2016